Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A little word of advice to you shoppers... PART 1

Acting like a jerk in a retail store, or in my case a grocery store, will not help you get better or faster service. Try treating that person behind the counter with some respect and they will do much more to help you out.

Placing your items on the checkout belt before the person in front of you is done putting theirs on is not only rude, but just stupid. Settle your impatient butt down and give that person some time. It takes much more time to sort through the mess on the belt because you couldn't wait a few seconds.

They say perception is reality, but what you perceive to be a 10 minute wait at the checkout is usually under a minute. My store has an average wait time of 28 seconds between orders. Now tell me, whatever you do for work, can you help your customer out in that time?

Cashiers are required to ask how you are. If you're having a pissy day, save that info. My 19 year old cashier doesn't really need to know your life story and why everything sucks. Just be polite and lie if needed.

Don't look down at a retail employee like they must be uneducated because they "stack cans" for a living. Cashiers at my store make damn near $15 an hour (which is pretty good in Utah BTW) to check your order out. I know that in management I make more than the majority of my friends with degrees.

Sometimes items do not ring up right. It's not that cashiers fault, nor is it some conspiracy by the store to make more money. It's also fixable. Don't lose your cool. It's called human error. When you carry 50,000+ different items, one or two signs may get missed along the way. Does your work run flawlessly? Probably not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post!!! I say treat people how you want to be treated. Granted there are times when I go to the store and if lines are long, it can get frustrating for me, but there is nothing I can do and I just let it slide. Plus it is usually the customer who takes forever anyways because of dividing orders because of food stamps, writing their check out slowly (I don't get why people don't write the info they already know on the check while they are waiting in line) etc. So praise to you and your store for the 28 second wait!!! :)