Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Pirates life for me.


I am a Pirates of the Caribbean junky. I absolutely love this franchise. The rides, the movies, the music, and even the games. I know that outside of the first movie, "The Curse of the Black Pearl", that most movie goers have soured on the films. I, however, didn't. I still got wrapped up in the story and lost in the world of Captain Jack Sparrow.

But my love for the Caribbean didn't start in a megaplex, it started like it did for most children. It started at Disneyland. Those of you who know me, know that I am a Disney person. I love EVERYTHING about the brand. I vacation at Disneyland and Disney World often and one day hope to see one of the Disney Parks outside of the country. I'd spend every vacation in either California or Florida if Jill let me.

Of all the attractions at Disneyland, the one that sticks out the most to me is Pirates of the Caribbean. When my mother took me to the park my very first time (it had to be around 1990) I remember riding it with her. As we waited in the queue she leaned over and whispered to me that this was her favorite ride. I was so eager and a bit nervous to board the boat.

I'll never forget sitting next to my mom and looking in awe at the Blue Bayou lights, the skull and crossbones telling me to keep my arms inside, and the first exhilarating drop into the cold tunnel into the world of Pirates. She pointed out things to me like the skeleton drinking booze, the piano playing itself, and even some "Hidden Mickey's". It is one of my favorite memories of my mother.

That alone is why I am in love with Pirates. To this day I think of my mom every time we ride this ride. Sometimes I am even moved to tears as we ride. Overwhelmed with the thoughts of my mother and how happy we were that day. To me it will always be her and my "little thing", our moment. The same goes for the movies. My mother passed before they ever came out, but I know she'd love them too. It still feels like it's her and my thing.

I've bought books about the movie. I've purchased books about the construction of the attractions at the parks. I've bought CD's with all of the music from the rides, and all of the soundtracks to the films. My very first Disney souvenir was a black Pirates captain hat with my name embroidered on it. I've bought t-shirts, pins, and other trinkets. I can't help it, I'm slightly obsessed.

I'm hoping the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie is excellent. I can't wait to see it. But even if it is so-so, I'll still be loving it. I'll be smiling from ear to ear, laughing at the jokes, and I'll whisper as if my mother was sitting next to me and I'll say, "these are my favorite movies".

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Drew and I were playing the Lego game the other night when I looked over and said, "I love how this is based on the ride at Disneyland!"