Sunday, April 10, 2011

The choice


I'm sure most people look back at certain events in their life and wonder if they had handled situations differently that they might have altered the outcome of their life. I can't help but sit back and wonder if my actions have caused my family more hurt than good. I wonder if I had made different choices that perhaps life would have been better? I can trace back everything I wish I could change back to one starting point. The night I left Bear Lake.

My Mother fought many demons in her life. She had medical issues that caused her constant pain. This lead to an addiction to pills. She medicated to take away her pain. She also started to drink heavily too. Mixing drugs and alcohol in a person that was already struggling with depression is a recipe for destruction. My Mother was destroying her life, along with lives of her four children that were watching it happen. She'd stay up late with her "friends" and do what she knew would dull her pain. I'm not mad at her now, but I was then. I was 15 and I resented her for giving into these evil indulgences. I'd have to wake the kids to get them off to school because she was unable to get out of bed. Often I'd ditch school, partly because I was the new kid in town and had no friends, and also because she didn't even notice. I wanted to be caught, but it didn't happen.

After a month or so of watching my Mother give up on herself, I too gave up on her. I decided I couldn't live like this anymore. I called my Aunt Charlotte and begged her to take me back to Salt Lake City to my Fathers. My Aunt Charlotte is my Mothers sister, and as much as she loves her, she knew that us kids were in a bad situation and that my Mom needed some help. She agreed to take me to my Fathers. I ran away. Charlotte took me to Salt Lake, and I never lived with my Mom again.

I felt so bad leaving my younger siblings behind. I am the oldest and I was taking care of them. Who would now? It was such a hard choice. When I arrived to my Fathers, my Aunt explained the situation to him. He took me in. I could write a very long blog on the details of how I stayed there and all the fights with courts, police, and obviously my parents, but I won't. What I will say is that my Dad spent every penny he had ever made to WIN custody of all his kids from my Mother. He won largely due to the testimony of myself and my Aunt. He almost didn't win, however. The Judge was very old school and he didn't care how bad the conditions were at home, he thought children should be raised by a Mom. I very much remember telling him off when he told me that and I was "excused" from his office.

So if the situation was so bad at my Mothers, why would I trace back all the bad in my life to that moment and want to change my choice? Everything that has caused me the most pain in my life has some connection with leaving my Mom to live with my Dad. First and foremost is that my Mother died less then five years later. She passed away at 38 years old. She died living in that same house in Idaho, by herself. My Aunt lived a few towns away from her and was with her all the time. My Mom had some friends along with some boyfriends too, but she was still alone. Her kids were her life and we left her. She even came to terms with us leaving and she understood that she wasn't taking care of us how she needed to. But she still felt alone. She'd call me often crying that she missed me. She wrote me letters often and she'd draw cartoons for me. She'd drive to Salt Lake every other week and stay in a crummy motel, just to visit. Every time she had to leave she'd cry. My Mother died of organ failure after falling into a coma. She went to the hospital because she had a headache. I'm still convinced that my Mom died of a broken heart from being without her kids.

The next tragedy that was caused or related to me leaving my Mothers had to due with meeting a new friend. When I moved in with my Dad, he bought a place in Lehi. Again I was the new kid in school so I was sent to the library with another new kid during some test we weren't ready for. His name was Grant. We started talking about basketball and our friendship begun. We even joined Jr. Jazz together. Grant very quickly became my best friend and a trusted ear during my transition between parents. Grant had some serious parent issues too and we just bonded. He started staying at my Dads house often. When we moved back to West Valley after the school year, Grant spent every weekend and most of the summer with me. When I graduated High School, we moved in together. We were always together. Always together until 2003. Grant, like my mother, struggled with depression. He had started drinking a bit too. I took him to Disneyland in the Spring of '03. He had never been on a plane before. We had a great time, so many laughs and memories. The very next day we were home, he took his own life. He got up early, cleaned his room, and took off to a shooting range. I still haven't recovered from this...

One more aspect of my life that I ruined by leaving my Mother is my Fathers life. He took on his 4 kids unexpectedly. He spent all his money to get us. He soon married Wendy and adopted her kids too. Wendy and my Dad love each other very much, but for some reason Wendy and us kids have had a hard time being on the same page. I used to fight with her when I lived with them. However, I only lived with them for less than two years before I moved out. I thought we had a great relationship after that, but I guess I was wrong. She's had problems with both of my brothers and sister over the years and I always tried to get both sides together. It finally seemed like it was happening and we all spent a Christmas together, I think it was '09, for the first time in years. Then Keven said something about Wendy to her son and she decided she was done trying to work things out with Keven. I tried to get in the middle again and I made things worse. Then for my Birthday, Jill invited Keven to my party that was at Wendy's home. Jill asked Wendy if it was ok, and she thought Wendy said yes. When she heard Keven was coming she packed up her kids and left. So here I am at my party, without my Step-Mom and Step-siblings. Afterwards, Wendy sent a fairly nasty email to Jill about Keven being invited into her home. Jill didn't mean to cause an issue and the way Wendy was talking to my wife made me see red. I wrote Wendy back a nasty email of my own. Since then we haven't been on good terms. When I didn't go over on Mothers day the next year she decided she was done with me, just like Keven. She wrote me a very nasty email making all sorts of accusations about my character. I haven't seen her, or her kids since. They to stopped talking to me too. Because of all this, I haven't really seen or talked to my Dad much. He hasn't even met my daughter, who is now 3 months. His relationship with his wife because of us kids has been shaky, and has come close to ending too.

So the way I see it, true or not, I feel like leaving my Mom has caused her death, the death of Grant, a ruined relationship with my Dad, and a spoiled marriage between him and his wife. I carry this weight on my shoulders everyday and wonder if I should have stayed back in Idaho. Perhaps I could have helped my Mother more? Maybe Grant would have meet other friends and skipped this choice he made? Maybe my Dad and I would still be friends? Maybe Wendy wouldn't hate us kids and her and my Father would be living a very happy life together? Who knows how different life would be? But these were my choices and I have to continue living with the results.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

From this, it sounds like the people who should have been raising you were all very selfish people, and when it came time to be a parent, they refused to stand up and be the selfless, responsible, sacrificing adults that were necessary to be so.
That is in no way your fault. It was not ever your responsibility to take care of your mother, or your siblings. She should have been taking care of you, and when she lost the ability to do so, you should not have had to fight to live with a parent that would.

It sounds like you were nothing but an excellent friend to Grant. His choices were his.

Wendy's crazy, we all know that. Also not your fault.

Your biological family may not be perfect, but your FriendFamily loves you very much.

Jillian said...

If you aren't going to listen to me, at least listen to Michelle. She is very smart. :)

Guy said...

Matt, I understandwhere you are coming from, but its not your fault. Now I may be taking the selfish route here on this but look at it this way. If you hadn't have made the choices you made in the past think about where you would be now? would you be with your wonderful wife? would you have your beautiful daughter?

If you hadn't come to utah you would have never met Grant and had that friendship. You would have never met me and I wouldn't have a friend who I consider my best friend and brother. I know that it hurts to think about Grant. I think about him too on an almost daily basis, and I didn't have the relationship you had with him but i considered him to be one of my best friends too. What he chose to do was his choice, you can't live your life thinking about what might have been because he still would have been going through those issues if he hadn't have met you. Also you wouldn't have had the time together that you did have. As for your dad and Wendy I don't believe it was your fault either. He did what any loving father would do. I know that I would do the same for my kids if I were in his situation. You've told me many times about the issues with wendy, as I told you the issues with my ex-stepmom. I know how hard it can be but any thing that is going on between your dad and Wendy are things that they have to work out. As long as you take the high road and do what is right for your imediate family, which I know you do, that is all you can do. Don't feel like any of these things are your fault. I want you to know this... there are 3 people in my life that I admire and respect more then any others. My Grandpa Kidd, my dad, and you. Yes you, you have done so much for me through out our friendship that I can never repay you for it. 7-11 trips, the sleep-overs when I couldn't stand being at my Dad's house because of Karen. Being there for me when I needed it the most. Maybe this sounds selfish of me but I know I am glad that you came to utah because I was and still am able to be your friend. I love you, man. if you need anything or just want to talk please let me know, I am here for you.

Anonymous said...

Life is full of mabeys ;) my life has 3 very important mabeys in it. Maybe grant never meets you and never gets to have that last wonderful hurrah in Disneyland. Maybe he would have ended his life much earlier, but your friendship helped him bare his own personal load for a little while longer. maybe you and your mom would have stayed together but grown to hate one another. maybe she ODs on all those pills and alcohol because without you leaving she never truly sees that she has a problem. Maybe you end up making the wrong decisions and end up an alcoholic. Maybe your dad would always have a hole in his soul not knowing if things might have been better for his if he was more involved in their lives. Maybe that does more damage to his and Wendy's relationship than you and keven and Brian and Sarah being there ever did. All you need to do is look at baby Lu and know every decision you ever made led to that little angel. And with how perfect she is you know you made the right decision.

Erin said...

if you're always second guessing the choices you made in the past then you can never truly enjoy living in the now. life is hard, for some it's much harder, but that just makes you a strong & better person if you can learn from it.
you're not the only one in these situations who made a choice. everyone made a choice.
you wouldn't be who you are, where you are, with what you have if you hadn't made these choices. would you give it all up to go back & make a different choice to find out that those people you loved still continued on the path of self destruction?
you made a choice. you had to. it's been done. it's not your fault. it's not your fault.
if you haven't already, i would suggest seeking outside help (counseling) to deal with these issues. you shouldn't have to bear this load alone. no one should EVER feel alone.
take care of yourself, so you can take care of the ones you love.

Jillian said...

I hope you take a minute and really look at everything people who care about you have written here. Life is all about choices and what we do with those choices is up to us. You can't control what others may or may not choose, only what you do and how you handle things.

Realize that it takes bravery and honesty with yourself to truly take a look at these things and figure out how to heal from them. I agree with Erin on all that she said.

Know that you are very loved and have a LOT of support in your life, even if some people have chosen not to be involved in it.

Becky said...

You can not change the past and what other people choose to do with their lives. You are who you are because of the choices you made and I happen to know you are a wonderful and caring person! I think you and I need to spend a little time one on one and have a little chat. I love you and I want you to be the best husband and father you can be....but you have to let some things go and concentrate on the now. You are a good brother to your siblings. Because of what I have been though in my life I dont have a relationship with any of my siblings, mother or father. I am grateful for the people in my life right now and for what they are to me. I am not happy about some of the things I chose to do instead of the "right" thing...I should have stayed closer to your mom and tried to be a strength to her and you kids...that is one of the biggest regrets of my life. I am so thankful I get to be in contact with you now and get to know you better! Hindsight is 20/20 they say and how know if you would have made a different choise of the outcome would have been better. Life is too short to worry about the what if's. Enjoy your sweet family...they are what life is about! Love you!